Re: Support for compression in XHR?

From: Kris Zyp <kris@sitepen.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 17:35:17 -0600
To: "Jonas Sicking" <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: "Geoffrey Sneddon" <foolistbar@googlemail.com>, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>, "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>, <public-webapps@w3.org>

>>> I suspect compression from the UA to the server will need support on the
>>> XHR object in order to work. I don't think the right way to do it is
>>> through setRequestHeader though, that seems like a hack at best.
>>
>> I would have thought this would be negotiated by the server sending a
>> Accept-Encoding header to indicate what forms of encoding it could handle
>> for request entities. XHR requests are almost always proceeded by a
>> separate response from a server (the web page) that can indicate the
>> server's ability to decode request entities.
>
> I think that this would go against the spirit of HTTP. The idea of HTTP is
> that it is state-less, so you should not carry state from one request to
> the next.

Encoding capability isn't really a state in the HTTP sense, since it is
presumably an immutable characteristic of the server, rather than a mutable
state of an application (the latter being what HTTP abhors). It seems
completely analagous to Accept-Ranges which works exactly the same
(communicates the server's ability to handle Range requests and what range
units are acceptable).

Kris