Re: Support for compression in XHR?

From: timeless <timeless@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 03:30:50 +0300
To: "Kris Zyp" <kris@sitepen.com>
Cc: "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 2:35 AM, Kris Zyp <kris@sitepen.com> wrote:
> Encoding capability isn't really a state in the HTTP sense,
> since it is presumably an immutable characteristic of the server,

do you really know this? i could have an applet/script/application
which handles decoding of gz...

i think a survey of major sites and most web servers would be
appropriate (there are about 100 web servers [and don't forget to get
most deployed versions not just the latest and buggiest], have fun)

i'm speaking as someone who writes a bunch of applications which run
on fairly anemic webservers. i tend to implement just about everything
myself.

(I have other hats including mobile hats, but this message was not
written with them on)