Can HTTP headers encode enough URLs? (was: XDomainRequest Integration with AC)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:42:34 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "annevk@opera.com" <annevk@opera.com>, Sharath Udupa <Sharath.Udupa@microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team <ieajax@microsoft.com>

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>>> Correct. But it does allow non-ASCII characters. How do you put them
>>> into an HTTP header value?
>>
>> Presumably HTTP defines how to handle non-ASCII characters in HTTP as
>> part of its error handling rules, no?
>
> Non-ASCII characters in header values are by definition ISO-8859-1. Yes,
> that sucks. It's not sufficient to encode all IRIs, thus you need to map
> IRIs to something you can use.
>
> And no, that has nothing to do with error handling.

It sounds like what you are asking is if HTTP headers can encode all the
values for 'url' that we need? This is different from my original
concern, but is certainly a valid question.

Given that we don't need to encode the all possible paths, since all
paths are disallowed, is there still a concern? People would have to use
punycode to encode non-ascii characters if they are part of the domain
name, which is unfortunate, but hopefully tooling will help here.

/ Jonas