Re: Can HTTP headers encode enough URLs?

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:19:49 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "annevk@opera.com" <annevk@opera.com>, Sharath Udupa <Sharath.Udupa@microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team <ieajax@microsoft.com>

Jonas Sicking wrote:
> It sounds like what you are asking is if HTTP headers can encode all the
> values for 'url' that we need? This is different from my original
> concern, but is certainly a valid question.

...speaking of which: the topic line is misleading. Of course HTTP
headers can encode enough URLs, because URLs by definition need ASCII
only. The issue here is the confusion between what HTML5 calls a URL,
and what the relevant specs (RFC 3986 and 3987) do.

BR, Julian