Re: Can HTTP headers encode enough URLs?

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:57:09 +0200
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
CC: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sunava Dutta <sunavad@windows.microsoft.com>, "annevk@opera.com" <annevk@opera.com>, Sharath Udupa <Sharath.Udupa@microsoft.com>, Zhenbin Xu <Zhenbin.Xu@microsoft.com>, Gideon Cohn <gidco@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-webapps@w3.org" <public-webapps@w3.org>, IE8 Core AJAX SWAT Team <ieajax@microsoft.com>

Jonas Sicking wrote:
> It sounds like what you are asking is if HTTP headers can encode all the
> values for 'url' that we need? This is different from my original
> concern, but is certainly a valid question.

Yep.

> Given that we don't need to encode the all possible paths, since all
> paths are disallowed, is there still a concern? People would have to use

I see.

> punycode to encode non-ascii characters if they are part of the domain
> name, which is unfortunate, but hopefully tooling will help here.

Correct. So again, it needs to be a RFC 3986 URI. RFC 3987 defines how
to map it.

BR, Julian