Re: [selectors-api] Extended Attribute [NoNull] in the IDL

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 12:32:31 +1000
To: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Boris Zbarski:
>> You mean document.querySelector(undefined) matches <undefined> nodes,
>> right?  That would be consistent with a JS Object.prototype.toString()
>> happening on the argument, I guess.

Lachlan Hunt:
> Yes.

>> It's not clear to me how "undefined" should behave with the "NoNull"
>> decoration, for what it's worth.
>
> Yeah, the bindings spec is very unclear about the whole thing.

I thought it handled this case, but apparently not.  In 4.1.16 it
currently says:

  If a host object expecting a boxed valuetype is passed an ECMAScript
  Object value, the value must first be handled according to the rules
  in this section corresponding to the IDL type being boxed.

but I think it should be for any value other than null (since null is
handled in the previous paragraph).  That would result in the undefined
value being stringified to "undefined", per 4.1.13.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/