Re: [selectors-api] Why have two identical differently named interfaces?

From: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:42:05 +0100
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@mit.edu>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 16:27:50 +0100, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> The reason for two interfaces is to allow extensions to either going
>> forward. Though presumably for ECMAScript you can implement them
>> however you'd like as window.ElementSelector and
>> window.DocumentSelector should probably not exist. (Just prototype
>> Element/Document instead.)
> Making them not exist is quite a bit of pain in Gecko, for what it's
> worth.
> I guess I could do the two interfaces, but I'm having a hard time seeing
> different extensions being made to these two interfaces (as opposed to
> wholly new interfaces being invented, as was done here).

I don't have any opinion about how many interfaces there are or what they
are called, but I just wanted to point out that if there's one interface
then extensions for either elements or documents can still be made by
making a new interface that inherits from the common interface when such
an extension is needed (compare with e.g. HTMLMediaElement in HTML5).

Simon Pieters
Opera Software