W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapi@w3.org > June 2008

Re: XHR review extension

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 17:46:04 -0300
To: "Doug Schepers" <schepers@w3.org>, "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Erik Dahlstrom" <ed@opera.com>, public-webapi@w3.org, "public-svg-wg@w3.org" <public-svg-wg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.ub6xa2yfwxe0ny@widsith.local>

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 11:12:21 -0300, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:

> Hi, Anne-
>
> Anne van Kesteren wrote (on 6/3/08 9:44 AM):
>>  On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 15:33:34 +0200, Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>  
>> wrote:
>>> The SVG WG would like to request a two week extension for reviewing  
>>> the XMLHttpRequest LC draft.
>>>
>>> Please let us know if that is acceptable,
>>  I think I would rather just move on given how long the review period  
>> has been and how long we've been working on XMLHttpRequest Level 1, but  
>> that shouldn't preclude the SVG WG from providing feedback later on.
>
> Noted.  But this is not an editorial decision, it is a WG decision.

Actually, it is a process issue...

> I don't see the harm in extending the LC period for a week or two: the  
> test suite is not done; there is no urgent release cycle for  
> implementations coming up; and the plan is to simply park this in CR  
> until HTML5 is more mature.  So, I propose we honor this request.

The urgency is based on the fact that people are looking to implement, or  
update implementations, in part because this spec is an important base for  
XHR2. We have an upcoming face to face meeting beginning 1 July, where we  
plan to close any final issues. Microsoft's review has already taken a  
long time, and has been promised within the week.

However I note the request in private for an extension received a week or  
so ago. Therefore, If the SVG group can please try to produce its review  
as fast as possible, we can grant the requested extension to 16 June.

Please note that we will not be giving a further extension without clear  
explanation of the exceptional circumstances that should justify it, and  
we would appreciate every day before then which you can reach. (We would  
also have appreciated the request coming in well before the deadline,  
ideally with some explanation...)

cheers

Chaals

-- 
Charles McCathieNevile  Opera Software, Standards Group
     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg lærer norsk
http://my.opera.com/chaals   Try Opera 9.5: http://snapshot.opera.com
Received on Tuesday, 3 June 2008 20:46:43 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 3 June 2008 20:46:43 GMT