Re: XHR tests

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:24:35 +0100
To: "Hallvord R. M. Steen" <hallvord@opera.com>
CC: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap@webkit.org>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Hallvord R. M. Steen wrote:
> Pardon, perhaps because I have not done much spec development I don't understand
> the logic of that statement.
>
> Since RFC 2616 says header names are case insensitive, it follows that
> 'X-Custom-Header' and 'x-custom-header' are both valid by RFC 2616, and both
> are the same header. So how would we contradict 2616 by telling implementors
> not to change the case of script authors' input?

The XHR implementation may sit on top of an HTTP stack that normalizes
header names, for instance to camelCase.

> What would contradict 2616 is to send different headers where names only differ
> in case, as in such a request:
>
> GET /

Actually, that wouldn't contradict HTTP because it allows headers to recur.

> and my suggested spec change takes this into account by making name comparisons
> more explicitly case-insensitive.

It may make it harder to implement on certain platforms, for no apparent
benefit.

The server needs to check the header names case-insensitively anyway, so
what difference does it make?

BR, Julian