W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webapi@w3.org > February 2008

Minutes, DOM3 Events telcon for 6 Feb 2008

From: Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 16:48:27 -0500
Message-ID: <47AA2B2B.608@w3.org>
To: Web API public <public-webapi@w3.org>

Hi, WebAPI fans-

Here are the minutes for the DOM3 Events telcon for 6 Feb 2008. Sorry 
for the funky formatting.

  http://www.w3.org/2008/02/06-webapi-minutes.html

Or as text, below:


    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                        Web API WG Teleconference
                               06 Feb 2008

    See also: [2]IRC log

       [2] http://www.w3.org/2008/02/06-webapi-irc

Attendees

    Present
    Regrets
    Chair
           SV_MEETING_CHAIR

    Scribe
           shepazu

Contents

      * [3]Topics
      * [4]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <trackbot> Date: 06 February 2008

    shepazu: Zakim, this is DOM3

    [2:27pm] Zakim: shepazu, I see IA_WebAPI(DOM3)2:30PM in the schedule
    but not yet started. Perhaps you mean "this will be DOM3".

    [2:27pm] shepazu: sigh

    [2:27pm] shepazu: Zakim, this will be DOM3

    [2:27pm] Zakim: ok, shepazu; I see IA_WebAPI(DOM3)2:30PM scheduled
    to start in 3 minutes

    [2:27pm] Zakim: IA_WebAPI(DOM3)2:30PM has now started

    [2:27pm] Zakim: +Carmelo

    [2:27pm] shepazu: Zakim, code?

    [2:27pm] Zakim: the conference code is 3663 (tel:+1.617.761.6200
    tel:+33.4.89.06.34.99 tel:+44.117.370.6152), shepazu

    [2:28pm] anne: hmm, office us is just starting

    [2:28pm] Zakim: +Andrew_Emmons

    [2:29pm] shepazu: sorry, phone problems, just a couple minutes

    [2:31pm] anne: Zakim, who is on the phone?

    [2:31pm] Zakim: On the phone I see Carmelo, Andrew_Emmons

    [2:31pm] • anne waits for shepazu

    [2:35pm] anne: Zakim, who is on the phone?

    [2:35pm] Zakim: On the phone I see Carmelo, Andrew_Emmons

    [2:35pm] Zakim: +??P0

    [2:35pm] shepazu: Zakim, +??P0

    [2:35pm] Zakim: I saw ??P0 just arrive

    [2:35pm] Carmelo: Hello Everyone

    [2:35pm] shepazu: Zakim, +??P0 is me

    [2:35pm] Zakim: sorry, shepazu, I do not recognize a party named
    '+??P0'

    [2:35pm] shepazu: Zakim, +??P0 is Doug Schepers

    [2:35pm] Zakim: I don't understand '+??P0 is Doug Schepers', shepazu

    [2:36pm] Zakim: +anne

    [2:36pm] shepazu: Zakim, +??P0 is me

    [2:36pm] Zakim: sorry, shepazu, I do not recognize a party named
    '+??P0'

    [2:36pm] shepazu: Zakim, ??P0 is me

    [2:36pm] Zakim: +shepazu; got it

    [2:37pm] shepazu: anne, can you join

    [2:37pm] shepazu: ?

    [2:37pm] aemmons: Scribe: Andrew Emmons

    [2:38pm] aemmons: ScribeNick: aemmons

    [2:38pm] aemmons: Chair: Doug Schepers

    [2:38pm] aemmons: Topic: Introduction meeting

    [2:38pm] aemmons: DS: Introducing Andrew Emmons

    [2:39pm] aemmons: DS: Known for some time

    [2:39pm] aemmons: DS: Motivated to get DOM3 Events published

    [2:39pm] aemmons: DS: Anticipate that it is largely done

    [2:39pm] aemmons: DS: Goal of meetings to establish what is left to
    be done

    [2:39pm] aemmons: DS: Find out what is implemeted

    [2:40pm] aemmons: DS: Find out what is different than what is
    implemented

    [2:40pm] aemmons: DS: I would like to see spec as CR in 4-6 months

    [2:40pm] aemmons: DS: CR is when you need a good test suite

    [2:41pm] Lachy joined the chat room.

    [2:41pm] Lachy left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving)

    [2:41pm] aemmons: DS: Andrew Emmons is from BitFlash

    [2:41pm] Lachy joined the chat room.

    [2:41pm] aemmons: DS: Implements SVGT 1.2 and thus DOM 3 Events

    [2:42pm] aemmons: DS: Anne works for Opera, well informed regarding
    DOM 3 Events

    [2:42pm] aemmons: DS: I work for W3C, staff contact for WebAPI

    [2:43pm] aemmons: DS: Carmelo works for NIST

    [2:43pm] aemmons: DS: Has done some DOM testing in the past

    [2:44pm] aemmons: CM: Will DOM LEvel 3 Events be using the same
    framework as DOM LEvel 2 Events?

    [2:44pm] aemmons: CM: I was looking at the previous frameworks

    [2:44pm] aemmons: DS: W3C specifications do implementability testing

    [2:44pm] aemmons: DS: No focus on interopability

    [2:45pm] aemmons: DS: There has been a new focus to have
    interopability between implementations

    [2:45pm] • anne has to go in ~15 min for a WAF meeting

    [2:45pm] aemmons: DS: Want to make sure the DOM3 Events Test suite
    has a focus for interopability

    [2:46pm] aemmons: DS: Worth our time on how to setup the testing
    framework

    [2:47pm] aemmons: CM: I could not find a DOM Level 2 events test
    suite

    [2:47pm] aemmons: DS: I do not think one exists

    [2:47pm] aemmons: CM: How wass this tested in the past?

    [2:47pm] aemmons: DS: Not sure

    [2:47pm] aemmons: CM: How did it become a Recommendation

    [2:48pm] aemmons: Av: The requirements were more loose at that time

    [2:48pm] aemmons: CM: Should we have tests for DOM Level 2 Events?

    [2:48pm] aemmons: DS: May be useful, where there is overlap

    [2:50pm] aemmons: DS: My goal is to get the spec out with features
    that are compatible or easy to do with existing browsers

    [2:50pm] aemmons: DS: Implementations do somehting that is akin to
    DOM Level 3 events

    [2:50pm] aemmons: DS: The feedback I want to get is from Opera,
    Mozillia, IE and WebKit

    [2:51pm] aemmons: DS: And SVG user agents

    [2:51pm] aemmons: DS: Step 1 is to have a careful review by all
    browser venders

    [2:52pm] aemmons: DS: The reason DOM Events stalled, at that time
    implementers will not implementing

    [2:53pm] aemmons: DS: Need to have buy-in from venders

    [2:53pm] aemmons: Av: The biggest problem is that it requires
    namespaces on events

    [2:53pm] aemmons: Av: I do not think people are implementing the
    namespacing

    [2:54pm] aemmons: DS: I am sure Microsoft will be involved in this
    process

    [2:54pm] aemmons: DS: I understand that there are people who dislike
    namespaces,

    [2:55pm] aemmons: DS: I am not sure it is a blocker for the spec

    [2:55pm] aemmons: Av: It is the think we do not see people
    implementing

    [2:55pm] aemmons: Av: It does not make sense for us to ship it if
    others do not as well

    [2:56pm] aemmons: DS: Another thing is - do authors want this?

    [2:56pm] aemmons: Av: Poeple hardly use namespaced elements, which
    have been around a long time

    [2:57pm] aemmons: AE: We've found them useful for content that uses
    CustomEvent

    [2:58pm] aemmons: DS: We need to make sure the spec is consistent
    and in publishable form

    [2:58pm] aemmons: DS: Good test suite

    [2:58pm] aemmons: DS: And that Key Events are acceptable for all the
    vendors

    [2:59pm] aemmons: AE: Moving forward, I need to know what
    resolutions have been made by the group that have not been captured
    i the spec

    [2:59pm] aemmons: Av: We have an issue tracker

    [2:59pm] shepazu: [5]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/

       [5] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/

    [3:00pm] shepazu:
    [6]http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/products/2

       [6] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/products/2

    [3:02pm] anne:
    [7]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006May/0065.ht
    ml

       [7] 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/2006May/0065.html

    [3:04pm] shepazu: [8]http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Bindings/

       [8] http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Bindings/

    [3:05pm] aemmons: DS: Because most people doing web content, our
    focus should be ECAMScript for testing

    [3:05pm] Zakim: -anne

    [3:06pm] aemmons: AE: Sounds good

    [3:06pm] aemmons: CM: Sounds good

    [3:07pm] aemmons: DS: Focusing on one issue and moving forward
    should be a great way forward

    [3:08pm] shepazu: [9]http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/DOM3Events

       [9] http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/DOM3Events

    [3:09pm] shepazu: public-webapi@w3.org

    [3:09pm] aemmons: DS: All of our technical discussions are done on
    the public WebAPI mailing list

    [3:11pm] aemmons: DS: Let's start with this double-click issue and
    move forward

    [3:12pm] aemmons: DS: No telcon next week, due to SVG F2F

    [3:12pm] aemmons: DS: I would love if we could be very agressive
    regarding this spec

    [3:12pm] aemmons: DS: Get feedback, spec updated, etc

    [3:13pm] aemmons: DS: Would go a long way in giving credibility

    [3:13pm] aemmons: DS: And if we could have a test as well that would
    be great

    [3:15pm] aemmons: DS: Would be good to have the tests transformable
    from HTML to SVG

    [3:17pm] aemmons: ACTION: AndrewE to summarize issues regarding
    double-click events and bring it up with the group

    [3:17pm] • trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

    [3:17pm] trackbot: Sorry, couldn't find user - AndrewE

    [3:17pm] aemmons: ACTION: AEmmons to summarize issues regarding
    double-click events and bring them up with the group

    [3:17pm] • trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

    [3:17pm] trackbot: Created ACTION-244 - Summarize issues regarding
    double-click events and bring them up with the group [on Andrew
    Emmons - due 2008-02-13].

    [3:18pm] aemmons: ACTION: Carmelo to write double-click tests

    [3:18pm] • trackbot noticed an ACTION. Trying to create it.

    [3:18pm] trackbot: Created ACTION-245 - Write double-click tests [on
    Carmelo Montanez - due 2008-02-13].

    [3:19pm] Zakim: -Carmelo

    [3:19pm] aemmons: rrsagent, make minutes

    [3:19pm] aemmons: zakim, bye

    [3:19pm] Zakim: leaving. As of this point the attendees were
    Carmelo, Andrew_Emmons, anne, shepazu

    [3:19pm] Zakim left the chat room.

    [3:20pm] aemmons: rrsagent, make minutes

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [10]scribe.perl version 1.133
     ([11]CVS log)
     $Date: 2008/02/06 21:02:32 $
      _________________________________________________________

      [10] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [11] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Wednesday, 6 February 2008 21:48:34 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 6 February 2008 21:48:35 GMT