Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:39:19 +0200
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Wednesday, May 9, 2007, 7:05:30 AM, Björn wrote:

BH> * Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>I'm also not sure of the benefit of letting the UA treat arbitrary
>>other types as XML besides those listed. Modern XML MIME types should
>>all be following the +xml convention.

BH> It is false to assert modern XML MIME types follow the +xml convention.
BH> The most recent type proposal, application/vnd.fcsexpress.launchfile,
BH> does not, the reason being that the format uses XML now, but might not
BH> do so in the future. An ISO standard case whether going either way is
BH> sensible is application/fastinfoset, which certainly is a modern type.

Björn, your conclusion does not follow from your evidence.

If you see foo/bar+xml, the +xml convention licenses you to assert that this is definitely XML.

If you see foo/bar, the +xml convention does not license you to conclude that it is *not* XML.

The media types that you mention, which are sometimes xml and sometimes not, are thus correctly labelled.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG