Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 19:32:40 +0200
To: "Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Thursday, May 10, 2007, 2:07:48 PM, Anne wrote:

AvK> On Wed, 09 May 2007 07:18:32 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
AvK> wrote:
>>> The reason is that the draft needs to be reasonably compatible with
>>> existing content such that it can be implemented without breaking
>>> content.

>> If you think my suggestion would break existing content, it would be
>> more useful if you could actually explain your reasoning to me. It is
>> clear to me that Content-Type:text/xsl indicates the message body is
>> an XML document, I do not understand why adopting the text I proposed
>> would break any content.

Its clear that text/xsl indicates XML content, *if* the application has a complete list of registered media types where it can look up this information.

If XSL were to register, say, application/xsl+xml that would make it immediately much clearer without having to have a registry in every application.

AvK> If one UA treats Content-Type:text/foobar as XML and another UA does not
AvK> and a site starts relying on text/foobar being treated as XML we have a
AvK> problem.

Yes.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group