Re: [XMLHttpRequest] update from the editor

From: Alexey Proskuryakov <ap-carbon@rambler.ru>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 21:48:57 +0400
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

Hi!

* Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> [Thu, 10 May 2007 17:21:30
+0200]:

> I was unable, by the way, to get any browser but Opera to recognize
the
> type text/xsl as XML MIME type; Firefox from 1.5 to Minefield does not
> seem to recognize it, and neither do IE6 and IE7 (on different
versions
> of Windows, and even a Linux box for Firefox); my test case works in
all
> these browsers if I simply use application/xml instead.

  Here are results of my tests:
1) IE 7 seems to only recognize "text/xml" and "application/xml".
2) Firefox 2 recognizes anything with "xml" in it (e.g. "fooxml/bar").
3) WebKit recognizes proper XML MIME types, plus "text/xsl".
4) Opera tries to parse the response as XML regardless of MIME type.

> Could you give
> an example of a web page that works in IE and Firefox, yet depends on
> them recognizing text/xsl as XML MIME type for XHR purposes?

  I think that code depending on "text/xsl" is most likely to be found
among Dashboard widgets.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov.