Re: The XMLHttpRequest Object comments

On Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 12:19:30 PM, Anne wrote:

AvK> On Tue, 08 May 2007 11:49:17 +0200, Stewart Brodie
AvK> <stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
>> I don't see why HTTP is mandatory either, to be honest, although I accept
>> that that's what most scripts will use it for.

AvK> The problem is that things are not very well defined for non-HTTP thingies
AvK> at the moment. If at some point we get a more protocol neutral version of
AvK> the specification I think it would make sense to reconsider this
AvK> particular statement within the conformance criteria, yes.

I agree with Anne.

In particular, SVG WG already went that route - starting with an http-only thing, then attempting to genericise it but ending up with something that worked with any protocol, as long as that protocol worked exactly like http :)

To be fair, there are any number of those, like itunes: and worldwinds: and so forth; webarch says not to do that.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG