Re: upload progress events

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:47:26 +0200
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: web API <public-webapi@w3.org>

* Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>In practice, it would look like this in code:
>
>xhr.addEventListener('progress', func, false);
>xhr.upload.addEventListener('progress', func, false);
>
>However, this becomes much more useful when you have a reusable
>upload/download progress UI control:
>
>var downloadURI = new ProgressUI(xhr);
>var uploadUI = new ProgressUI(xhr.upload);
>
>With separate events, you would need either two controls, or a way to
>put the control in a mode where it listens to either only upload or
>only download events.
>
>This would require a change in XHR to adopt the Progress Events spec,
>but would considerably simplify Progress Events. Thoughts?

I would like to see worked out how this would work exactly for XHR, for
example, if you have a web service that adds a digital signature to some
XML document and a script that uses the service for a 1 MB document, but
half way through the response the server cuts the connection, and which
specification has to contribute the necessary bits to make this well-de-
fined.