RE: Network API editor's draft

Hi Charles,

I see only non-blocking communication in the draft. This is
probably intentional, but adding the possibility for "blocking
sockets" would provide more flexibility for the developer, and
make some problems easier to solve.

This could be provided in different ways, f ex through a
connection instance method recv() that would block until data
arrives on the specified connection.

When implementing any protocol containing a couple of
handshaking layers it is convenient to be able to say "now I
want to wait until at least four bytes arrives". Without the
blocking feature you tend to end up with a maze of asynchronous
handler functions or overly complex state-machines.

To avoid inventing yet another "synchronous XMLHttpRequest kills
the window" scenario, the following could be considered:
- possible to specify timeout for how long to block
- handle ui events while blocking (so browser window is "alive")
- potentially let browser's stop button abort blocking

Also, blocking is your only chance if you want to send (and
acknowledge) something at page exit, from inside the
Window.onunload handler.

Best regards
Mike Wilson