Re: upload progress events

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:46:57 +1100, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:49:08 +1100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Anne, Ian and I were discussing the fact that the Progress Events
>> spec requires duplicates of every event for upload as well as
>> download. This makes the spec a fair bit more complicated, especially
>> if it ends up specifying a number of different progress events.
>>
>> As far as I know, this feature is only needed for XMLHttpRequest,
>> since it's the only obvious element we can think of that does both
>> upload and download, and where it's important to keep the two separate.
>>
>> However, we thought of a possible alternate design that might cover
>> this case better. In brief, the idea is to use the same set of events
>> for upload and download, but to provide a separate EventTarget
>> attached to the XMLHttpRequest object, which is the target all the
>> upload-related events; XHR itself only dispatches the download events.
>> This would require a change in XHR to adopt the Progress Events spec,
>> but would considerably simplify Progress Events. Thoughts?
>
> Works for me...

I am going to update the spec draft (tomorrow, since I have no overnight internet access), and will make it reflect this.

By the by, I discussed the spec in the SVG group (which has people who have implemented progress events). They were happy with this idea and with the proposal that we go with the start and end events etc that Maciej has proposed, so that will also be in the next draft.

Cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9.1     http://opera.com