Re: Selectors API naming

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:54:04 -0500, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

[roughly accurate assumptions about how we reached the conclusion snipped...]

> How about the following (suggested in various places on the thread):
>
> cssQuery()/cssQueryAll()

Bjoern's suggestion never got any apparent support, Anne has been vociferous in
the past in pointing out that it isn't about CSS, and it was possibly confusing
what it does.

> bySelector()/bySelectorAll()
> bySelector()/listBySelector()

Something like this was considered and rejected as not really satisying anyone (not
short enough for the little-endians, not clear enough for the big-endians).

> getBySelector()/getBySelectorAll()
>
> Note that CSS selectors today cannot address non-element nodes,
> however, this may not be the case for all time. If they ever become
> able to address text nodes directly, it will actually be better not
> to have "Element" in the name.

If I recall correctly, this was considered and didn't get enough support to make
it onto the board. Maybe it wasn't really considered enough.

> Here are other brief names that make the connection to Selectors (AKA
> CSS Selectors) clear in varying degrees:
>
> queryCSS()
> matchCSS()
> cssMatch()
> matchSelector()
> matchSel()
> bySel()
> querySel()
> querySelector()
>
> (Various forms of long names left as an excercise to the reader).
>
> Please consider both of these sets of names to be my constructive
> alternate proposals, as requested.

So, is there consensus in the group to shift to one of these (or to something
else, potentially including things we rejected earlier)?

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com