Re: ISSUE-109: Do loaded/total count the bytes transferred with encodings applied or not?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:51:51 -0800
To: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

On Jan 27, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Web APIs Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-109: Do loaded/total count the bytes transferred with
> encodings applied or not?
>
> http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/webapi/issues/109
>
> Raised by: Charles Mccathienevile
> On product: Progress Event
>
> i.e. if you have a transfer-encoding or content-encoding, do you count
> the transfer size before or after you are unpacking?
>
> Seems to me that it makes more sense to count the data with the
> relevant encodings applied - i.e. the number of bytes being pushed
> over
> the wire (or over the air)...

Which one does the http protocol give you when you have a Content-
Length header? There is some advantage to picking whichever that is,
since otherwise you have to ignore Content-Length and the size will
always show as unknown (since you can't predict the size change from
content/transfer encoding).

Regards,
Maciej