Proposal: getElementsBySelector()

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 09:11:10 +0100
To: "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Given the input from Björn I suppose there's no real need for a method
that returns a single element node (assuming implementations make that
optimization). Given that, I propose we rename .getAll() to
.getElementsBySelector() and drop .get() (on both Document and Element).

One advantage is that it's consistent with the naming people already use
for custom written functions that have this functionality. In theory it's
also not harder to type than .getElementsByTagName(). The only thing that
makes it differ from the other getElementsBy* method(s) is that it doesn't
return a live NodeList. I don't see that as a major problem.

If there are no strong objections I'll implement this in the specification.