Re: Selectors API naming

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:52:09 -0500, Simon Pieters <zcorpan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> A way to reduce the number of typos might be to drop the trailing "s"
> from both method names. It's equally clear what it does IMHO.

We could do that.

> Of the two getElementListBySelector and getElementsBySelector, thepeople
> I've spoken to seem to prefer getElementsBySelector.

OK. In order to make that useful feedback, can you say how many people and
who
they are? With comments like this, it is hard to know if you are one of
five
people all saying the same thing as they talk to each other, or someone
representing some process that had 3% of professional Web Developers in
Russia
who decided to take a binding vote on their preferred outcome...

>> The reason for GetElementListBySelectors and not getElementsBySelectors
>> was to make it moderately clear and give people a better chance of
>> debugging quickly.
>
> Although if API consistency is desireable then "getElementListBy..."
> doesn't seem to appear anywhere as far as I can tell.

Obviously it is a change. My feeling is that it isn't as radical a change
as the
alternatives proposed, and that the clear visual difference was valuable
enough
to justify it. Your mileage may vary, of course.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com Try Opera 9.1 http://opera.com