Re: Selectors API updates

+1.

The world seems to have survived with long names like getElementById() and
getElementByTagname(). Dave's two reasons below are more important than
brevity. Also, it is important to bear in mind that not all uses of the DOM
are in the context of browsers (and CSS), so I think it is important that
the method name somehow include the letters "Selector" or "CSS".

Jon Ferraiolo <jferrai@us.ibm.com>
Web Architect, Emerging Technologies
IBM, Menlo Park, CA
Mobile: +1-650-926-5865

             Dave Massy
             <Dave.Massy@micro
             soft.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  <public-webapi@w3.org>,
             public-webapi-req         <annevk@opera.com>,
             uest@w3.org               <robin@berjon.com>
                                                                        cc

             01/10/2007 10:14                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: Selectors API updates

I have to agree with Robin here. The new names suggested do not address
the concerns raised around the original naming in the specification.
Naming should be:
 a) descriptive of the functionality
 b) in line with conventions for existing DOM APIs such as
getElementbyID

Looking at the feedback on
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapi/ and Anne's blog entry
at http://annevankesteren.nl/2006/12/selectors-api-naming it seems that
the majority of people would agree with these principles and the
suggested names based on getElementBySelector. I know not everyone is in
agreement and some people wish to save keypresses but I really think we
should be taking note of feedback from the majority and follow the above
principles.

Thanks
-Dave