Re: [XHR] send doesn’t explain what to do w hen method is GET

From: Stewart Brodie <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:19:12 +0000
To: public-webapi@w3.org

Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:

> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 15:47:37 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> > wrote:
> >> 3) The spec as written doesn't "state nothing", it appears to clearly
> >> require sending an entity body and does not allow ignoring the body or
> >> throwing an exception regardless of what is allowed per RFC. So some
> >> change is needed, one way or another.
> >
> > Ok. How about we add a step 5 of the send() algorithm that states that
> > additional requirements in RFC 2616 are also to be taken into account.
> > That should effectively defer the issue to RFC 2616.
> Does any currently released browse include the body when doing an XHR
> GET request? If a big majority of them currently drop the body, then it
> seems like it would help interoperability if the spec explicitly stated
> that the body should be dropped.
> IMHO this wouldn't be going against RFC 2616 as it's the application,
> not the network layer, that drops the body.

Under no circumstances will my code permit an entity body to be sent as part
of a request for an object that is going to be requested via GET or HEAD.
It's just asking for trouble.  It also will not permit related headers to be
set (Content-Length, Transfer-Encoding et al will be dropped)

I never understood what I should do when an XMLHttpRequest object is
presented with data to send and the method was GET or HEAD.  Currently, I
convert the data to a UTF-8 string and store it as the query field of the
URI, as that seemed the most useful thing to do (particularly the the data
attribute was a string or something that was easily stringified).

I did briefly also consider automatically converting the method to POST, but
decided that that was simply dangerous.

Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer
ANT Software Limited