Re: Indicating XHR conformance

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:53:55 -0700
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>

On 2006/05/10, at 2:35 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> While this is a neat idea in theory, but is fairly useless in
> practice. How many times have you used the similar function
> 'hasFeature'? Hopefully pretty much all implementations will very
> soon pass the full test suite. If not we have probably written a
> too complicated spec.

I'd agree, except for the optional features that the UA can perform
on behalf of the author; e.g., caching, expect/continue support,
conneg, content-codings, cookies, authentication. If the author needs
to handle those, or invoke an alternate mechanism, it would be a lot
easier if there was some way to find out if they were taking place.

> The above methods don't actually even solve the problem you brought
> up, the ability to know if a certain http-method is supported. If
> we really want that we could add a 'supportsMethod' function or
> similar.

They were just an example, not a complete proposal.

--
Mark Nottingham
mnot@yahoo-inc.com