Re: Indicating XHR conformance

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 14:35:02 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> For example, we could specify a tree of properties on the navigator
> object that are tied to passing the test suite; authors could use  that
> to figure out if certain features are supported. E.g.,
>
> navigator.w3c.xhr.full  // passes the full test suite
> navigator.w3c.xhr.core // passes all of the MUST-level requirements  in XHR
> navigator.w3c.xhr.cache // passes all HTTP caching-related tests
> navigator.w3c.xhr.redirect // passes all HTTP redirect-related tests

While this is a neat idea in theory, but is fairly useless in practice.
How many times have you used the similar function 'hasFeature'?
Hopefully pretty much all implementations will very soon pass the full
test suite. If not we have probably written a too complicated spec.

The above methods don't actually even solve the problem you brought up,
the ability to know if a certain http-method is supported. If we really
want that we could add a 'supportsMethod' function or similar.

/ Jonas