Re: timeStamp and DOMTimeStamp

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Ian Hickson wrote:
> >I propose we define DOMTimeStamp in ECMAScript as being a Number giving
> >the number of milliseconds, excluding those in leap seconds, since
> >1970-01-01T00:00:00.0Z.
>
> While the current text isn't particularily clear, my reading is that
> implementations should determine some "epoch" time and set the time-
> Stamp relative to it for all events. This may but need not be the time
> you suggest, the system start time is given as another example.
>
> I think this is sensible since the implementation does not necessarily
> have access to the current time or might not want to make it available
> to applications due to security concerns. When applications do have
> access to this information, they can easily derive it from a timeStamp
> by comparing two of them with a given time.

Well I don't really mind what esoteric implementations might do, but, as
discussed on today's telecon, for Web browsers we want interoperability.

> Is there a specific reason why you think this should be relative to this
> specific time?

Time stamps should be of comparable magnitude with comparable deltas
across different Web browsers, IMHO. Every difference between browsers
introduces a new possibility for a Web page bug. Web authors manage to
find plenty of ways to shoot themselves in the foot already, there's no
reason for us to give them even more ways.