Re: timeStamp and DOMTimeStamp

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:09:50 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: public-webapi@w3.org

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>I propose we define DOMTimeStamp in ECMAScript as being a Number giving
>the number of milliseconds, excluding those in leap seconds, since
>1970-01-01T00:00:00.0Z.

While the current text isn't particularily clear, my reading is that
implementations should determine some "epoch" time and set the time-
Stamp relative to it for all events. This may but need not be the
time you suggest, the system start time is given as another example.

I think this is sensible since the implementation does not necessarily
have access to the current time or might not want to make it available
to applications due to security concerns. When applications do have
access to this information, they can easily derive it from a timeStamp
by comparing two of them with a given time.

Is there a specific reason why you think this should be relative to
this specific time?