Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

Le Mon, 06 Mar 2006 00:53:57 +0200, Lachlan Hunt
<lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> a écrit:

> Doug Schepers wrote:
>> I don't think that the risk of nasty hacks outweighs the utility of
>> clipboard access.
>
> Perhaps, but what are the use cases for giving the author access to my
> clipboard?  I think the user already has sufficient control over the
> clipboard to cut, copy and paste using a variety of methods including
> keyboard shortcuts, context menus, Edit menu, etc.  Under what
> circumstances would a) the author need access to the clipboard, and b)
> the user grant such access?

The only precise example that I can think of currently are the WYSIWYG
editors. Jim Ley also provided a good example.

Yet, I can go further in saying that the use cases for giving the author
access to my clipboard are (almost) all the same as I'd do with any
application on my OS, or even more.

This feature is already available in IE and Gecko. AFAIK Opera 9 is also
implementing something like that, because they added rich-text editing
support (contentEditable).

A spec to standardize clipboard access would be needed, because currently
each browser has its own way.

--
http://www.robodesign.ro
ROBO Design - We bring you the future