No arguments to XMLHttpRequest.send (ACTION-58)

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:26:57 -0800
To: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>

Hi all,

In my ACTION-58 I was supposed to think about what I wanted us to do
regarding calling XMLHttpRequest.send with no arguments.

I actually think that we should make the spec require an argument for
now. The whole purpose of this spec is to define what works across all
browsers so that users know what they can do.

I definitely agree that what mozilla is doing is wrong and unfortunate,
and we'll fix it in Firefox 2, but that is beside the point. The problem
is that if people start using no-argument sends their code is not going
to work in firefox 1-1.5.

Things like minor inconsistencies in what onreadystatechange
notifications are sent and how to resolve relative uris when several
windows are involved are things that I'm fine with since it won't affect
a lot of people. But send without argument would probably be used by a
lot of people so that is a lot worse.

So I think we should for now require an argument. We can always make the
argument optional in version 2.

/ Jonas