Re: Selectors API naming

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 08:32:02 +1000
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Dave Massy <Dave.Massy@microsoft.com>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, "Web API WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>, Chris Wilson <chris.wilson@microsoft.com>

Ian Hickson:
> Then we should switch to Chinese for method names.

I realise that the reasoning behind this is that there are (or will be)
arguably more people using the Selectors API who have Chinese as their
first language rather than English, and that the argument is somewhat
tongue-in-cheek, but this overlooks two important points.  Firstly, to
have one function in the whole set of web APIs be in Chinese and the
rest in English would be terribly inconsistent.  Since the rest of the
API uses English, programmers will have had to have known (some) English
already.  Secondly, keyboards used in Chinese speaking regions are
typically QWERTY plus other symbols on the keys (Bopomofo, or Canjie
radicals) plus input methods available to type Latin characters,
whereas computers in Latin-character based regions typically won’t have
Chinese IMEs installed.

--
Cameron McCormack, http://mcc.id.au/