Re: Selectors API naming

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> I can live with something like matchSelector / matchAllSelectors if that
> would solve the problem (I am also happy with the current names). But I
> am really not interested in a long discussion about the name - at the
> end of the day we are almost guaranteed to pick something not quite
> right, so let's do that early in the morning and spend the day doing
> real work...

In general I would agree with you, and I'm often seen pointing out that
names are irrelevant since most Web authors don't speak English anyway and
thus they are just opaque strings to them.

My only concern here is that we avoid the mistake that was made with
getElementsByTagName and getElementById -- the names should be easy to
type and short. I honestly think that if the one-item method is shorter
than about 6 or 7 characters, then we've made a mistake.

So I think "matchSelector" is too long. I think "matchSingle" is too long.
I think "select" and "match" are fine.

It doesn't matter what the words actually are. I think "aaaaa" is fine
too (though it wouldn't be my first choice). As Maciej points out, we just
have to make sure we don't pick a name that makes everyone just alias the
method to $ or $$ or something equivalent.