Re: Selectors API naming

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:58:16 +0530, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Dave Massy wrote:
>
>> Moving to public-webapi@w3.org
>>
>> I don't think we are tied to a particular name for this, I think
>> getElementsByGroupOfSelectors might be a little excessive :) However
>> we'd just like the name to more clearly reflect the functionality
>> rather than a generic sounding matchAll() which isn't really intended
>> for generic use. It's our belief that it is important for names to
>> reflect what they do where possible. Having a short name might save us
>> all a few keystrokes but it is less clear to developers what the call
>> is doing and can create bigger problems.
>
> I think a short but clear name would be select(). Unfortunately that is
> taken by Microsoft's nonstandard XPath API. match() seems like a decent
> next-best choice. The idea is to make this a common idiom with a
> convenient name so people don't have to go to crazy lengths like making
> $() or $$() functions to avoid using it.

I can live with something like matchSelector / matchAllSelectors if that
would solve the problem (I am also happy with the current names). But I am
really not interested in a long discussion about the name - at the end of
the day we are almost guaranteed to pick something not quite right, so
let's do that early in the morning and spend the day doing real work...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com