Re: Selectors API naming

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 22:28:16 -0800
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, public-webapi@w3.org
To: Dave Massy <Dave.Massy@microsoft.com>

On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:05 AM, Dave Massy wrote:

> Moving to public-webapi@w3.org
>
> I don't think we are tied to a particular name for this, I think
> getElementsByGroupOfSelectors might be a little excessive :)
> However we'd just like the name to more clearly reflect the
> functionality rather than a generic sounding matchAll() which isn't
> really intended for generic use. It's our belief that it is
> important for names to reflect what they do where possible. Having
> a short name might save us all a few keystrokes but it is less
> clear to developers what the call is doing and can create bigger
> problems.

I think a short but clear name would be select(). Unfortunately that
is taken by Microsoft's nonstandard XPath API. match() seems like a
decent next-best choice. The idea is to make this a common idiom with
a convenient name so people don't have to go to crazy lengths like
making $() or $$() functions to avoid using it.

Regards,
Maciej