Re: ISSUE-75: Is method case-sensitive?

From: Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:19:43 +0200
Cc: "Web APIs WG (public)" <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@yahoo-inc.com>

On Apr 21, 2006, at 00:18, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> Make it a SHOULD and twiddle your CR exit criteria to take it into
> account; in the long term, implementations will sort themselves out.

My thoughts exactly.

> The real danger here is that the WG will be tempted to use the API
> to profile other parts of HTTP for convenience, or based on current
> implementations, as well. Please, don't.

Precisely. Anne raised concerns about exiting CR, but if we start
profiling HTTP we'll never get out of LC. I can already hear the
hordes clamouring "when you pry RFC 2616 from the impervious grasp of
my cold, dead fingers".

> I'd also note that Apache preserves the casing of HTTP method all
> the way through mod_cgi.

That's the case with all the server-side implementations that I'm
aware of.

--
Robin Berjon
    Senior Research Scientist