Re: ISSUE-66: should Documents that aren\'t being presented be required to have a null defaultView?

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> We definitely want to allow all Documents to implement DocumentWindow. I
> don't want to have two versions of every document class and have to
> worry about constructing the right one.

Um, well, every browser I've tested already does it, and given the kind of
stuff that DocumentWindow has (.location, .cookie, .execCommand, etc), all
of which has to be neutered for these non-Windowed Documents, it seems
easiest to just remove the relevant members.

> This doesn't say anything about what the properties of an non-presented
> window should be though. I agree that it might be bad to *require*
> defaultView to be null unless we can come up with a good reason for it.

The thing that has to be null is that the document has to not have a
global scope. In reality, this means it doesn't have a Window, and thus
doesn't have a View, and thus doesn't have a defaultView.