Re: ISSUE-70: what to do about window timers?

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:18:47 -0700
Cc: Web APIs WG <public-webapi@w3.org>
To: Brad Fults <bfults@gmail.com>

On Apr 4, 2006, at 10:50 PM, Brad Fults wrote:

> On 4/4/06, Web APIs Issue Tracker <dean+cgi@w3.org> wrote:
>> A.2) Define using a TimerListener interface which is meant only
>> for other languages, while ECMAScript only actually allows strings
>> or functions to be passed.
>
> I (and others) strongly advise against specifying a timer interface
> that accepts strings of code as executable input.
>
> It can continue to exist as an implemented behavior, but as it
> essentially uses eval() for its functionality, it should be strongly
> discouraged, and certainly not officially specified.

I don't think the right way to make coding style suggestions is to
fail to specify things. To be interoperable with a considerable
amount of existing web content, UAs MUST implement the string
interface. Note that the ECMAScript spec includes eval(), even though
many contributors to the specification dislike it.

On the other hand, I would be happy to put a note in the spec that
the string interface is discouraged for content authors. I agree that
it is better in all respects to use a function, when writing new JS
code that uses the Window interface.

Regards,
Maciej