Re: ISSUE-70: what to do about window timers?

From: Brad Fults <bfults@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 08:11:51 -0700
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "Web APIs WG" <public-webapi@w3.org>

On 4/4/06, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2006, at 10:50 PM, Brad Fults wrote:
> I don't think the right way to make coding style suggestions is to
> fail to specify things. To be interoperable with a considerable
> amount of existing web content, UAs MUST implement the string
> interface. Note that the ECMAScript spec includes eval(), even though
> many contributors to the specification dislike it.

The fact that eval() is in ES doesn't change anything -- eval() has a
valid use case. Using an eval-driven method for code to execute with a
timer, however, doesn't. It seems that the best thing may be to
specify the string behavior as deprecated and discouraged, though
indicating that it's widely abused and so should be implemented by
UAs.

> On the other hand, I would be happy to put a note in the spec that
> the string interface is discouraged for content authors. I agree that
> it is better in all respects to use a function, when writing new JS
> code that uses the Window interface.

That sounds reasonable.

Thanks.

--