Re: Implications of eolas verdict

Most web sites are designed to work in Internet Explorer, for the simple
reason that roughly 95% of the browsing public uses it.  As such, developers
of alternative browsers are virtually forced to make their software
compatible with whatever works with IE.  Any other approach simply breaks
too many pages.  Therefore, you can bet the bank that whatever solution is
implemented in IE will eventually be compatible with some future version of
Netscape, Opera, etc.

I applaud MS for working directly with W3C on a solution.  Internet Explorer
has long been known for leaving a trail of pseudo-standards in its
development path, and the W3C has then chosen which to adopt as "standard".

If MS, W3C, and other attendees at that meeting can come up with a valid
solution and establish it as a standard, this will do wonders for the
alternative browser market's ability to keep up.  Plugin compatibility has
been one of the hardest aspects to maintain across various browsers.

My company's web site does not currently use any plugins, but we are in the
process of developing some new interactive Java applets.  I am most curious
about how this verdict and the coming changes will affect applets.

Aside:  I think it's ridiculous that someone can claim patent rights on
embedded content this late in the game.

-Jake