Re: "Packing on the Web" -- performance use cases / implications

From: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:54:43 -0800
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Cc: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnotting@akamai.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm talking about the use cases that .zip files satisfy, not that.  I
> don't know why separating these is a problem.

Looking at the cited use cases in [1]... 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 do not need
bundling and are *much* better handled by the UA fetching granular
resources based on the description in the package/manifest. In fact, even
for 2.4 it's not strictly necessary: the package contents can be downloaded
into a folder without forcing bundling within the package request. I think
we need to revisit the use cases and clarify their intent...

[1] http://w3ctag.github.io/packaging-on-the-web/#using-packages