Re: "Packing on the Web" -- performance use cases / implications

From: Nottingham, Mark <mnotting@akamai.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 22:12:51 +0000
To: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>
CC: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>, Travis Leithead <travis.leithead@microsoft.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Jeni Tennison" <jeni@jenitennison.com>

> On 22 Jan 2015, at 7:54 am, Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 11:21 AM, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm talking about the use cases that .zip files satisfy, not that.  I
> don't know why separating these is a problem.
>
> Looking at the cited use cases in [1]... 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 do not need bundling and are *much* better handled by the UA fetching granular resources based on the description in the package/manifest. In fact, even for 2.4 it's not strictly necessary: the package contents can be downloaded into a folder without forcing bundling within the package request. I think we need to revisit the use cases and clarify their intent...

+1.

--
Mark Nottingham    mnot@akamai.com    https://www.mnot.net/