Re: [agenda] Web Performance WG Teleconference #26 Agenda 2011-03-29

From: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:43:33 -0700
To: Olli@pettay.fi
Cc: Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi>, Zhiheng Wang <zhihengw@google.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Jatinder Mann <jmann@microsoft.com>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Olli Pettay <Olli.Pettay@helsinki.fi> wrote:
> On 03/30/2011 08:47 PM, Zhiheng Wang wrote:
>
>>    IMHO, the behavior of bfcache (and prerendering) is more similar to
>> showing/hiding tabs in a user agent, which strictly speaking does not
>> follow the steps outlined here:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/history.html#navigating-across-documents. It
>> just happens to rely on the forward/backward key. :-) Just my $0.02.
>
> Not just back/forward key, but also
> history.back()/.forward() ;)

bfcached pages behave differently in *a lot* of ways. All the local
state and all variables set on the global object and elsewhere are
retained and so behave differently from a page that wasn't bfcached.

I think it would be more confusing than not to try to make them like
normal navigation in this one edge case.

/ Jonas