Re: [RequestAnimationFrame] cancelRequestAnimationFrame is an odd name

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 18:16:14 -0500
To: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
CC: "Karen Anderson (IE)" <Karen.Anderson@microsoft.com>, "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
On 12/8/11 5:22 PM, James Robinson wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.  I've pushed
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/rev/435e89478579 to the editor's draft to
> rename from cancelRequestAnimationFrame() to cancelAnimationFrame(). You
> can see the version of the spec with this change here:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/435e89478579/specs/RequestAnimationFrame/Overview.html.
>   I expect to update the WebKit vendor-prefixed implementation soon to
> reflect this change.

I suspect you won't be able to, actually, due to web compat issues.
Certainly Gecko won't be able to without keeping the old name as an
alias; at least Google maps looks for mozCancelRequestAnimationFrame and
breaks if that's not present.

So when we unprefix we'll unprefix to cancelAnimationFrame, but the
prefixed version might stay as-is for now or grow the other alongside it.