Re: Web Intents based APIs

From: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:24:38 +0200
Cc: "public-web-intents@w3.org" <public-web-intents@w3.org>
To: Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr>
Hi Mounir,

On Jun 5, 2012, at 12:04 , Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> Basically, if I want to implement a full featured Contacts App for a
> device, I need to use a real API. I do not think the goal of Web Intents
> is to solve those situations.

No, it's not. Intents can't give you direct access to a device service, they can simply give you access to an intent service that may itself be enabled to access the device service.

Just to be 100% clear however, your initial message gave the impression that you saw the two  the "Contacts Intent" and the "Contacts System API" (to make names up)  as linked. I want to make sure that we all agree that they're not. For instance, if I'm running a site that knows about contact information, I can expose a Contacts Intent but never use the Contacts System API. As an example, I've been tinkering with a Contacts Intent that exposes my Mac's local address book, but it does so using a Node backend that just accesses the contacts SQLite DB directly.

So we keep those orthogonal  but we still need a standard for the Contacts Intent since we need to agree on what objects passed to and from such a service look like.