Re: Web Intents based APIs

On 06/05/2012 12:31 AM, Nilsson, Claes1 wrote:
> Hi Mounir,
>
> So your message is:
>
> * The current Contacts API (http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/contacts/Overview.html ) is a system level API and we shouldn't attempt binding it with Web Intents
> * For simple interactions we can create a Web Intents based Contacts API, similar to Robin's proposal.
>
> Or are talking about a layered approach?
>
> Could you provide an example?

Basically, if I want to implement a full featured Contacts App for a
device, I need to use a real API. I do not think the goal of Web Intents
is to solve those situations.
However, if I want to build an app that wants to access a contact
information, I would use Web Intents. For example, an email app might
have a "add a contact" button that would use an Intent to get the
contact from the Contacts App (that would be using in the backend the
real Contacts API). One advantage is that way, the email app doesn't
have to request any permission regarding reading contacts information
because it is actually done by the Contacts App. Also, the email app
doesn't have to re-built a UI. It can fully delegate that feature to the
Contacts App.

Is that clearer?

Cheers,
--