Re: web intents agent !== user agent

Thanks Claes, that discussion was about the core of my question. I am not sure about the cloud part, but the separation from UA is key. So to answer Greg's question on defining the WIA, The WIA is the part that would constitute the separate entity to which the UA would delegate all of the intent-related processing.

In my arguments, I touched on multiple applications for such a separation between WIA and UA, such as user perspective, hierarchy of circles and security, but they are all enabled by the ability to separate the WIA and the UA.

My main point is that the spec is written in such a way that WIA is not even defined separately from the UA. Web Intents is a fairly complex spec, and despite being in the field and having followed the discussions and having implemented related stuff, I do not trust myself to extricate when UA in the spec means WIA and when it's only UA, for the purpose of implementing a separate WIA system.
Actually, in some places, UA is mentioned where if separated, there would be a communication between WIA and UA, one way or the other. These are the most difficult spots, realistically.

So this de facto merge is:
- a barrier to innovation by most by increasing the cost of separation,
- creating a large risk to interoperability by leaving the separation for implementors to figure out, and ensuring that no two will get it exactly the same, resulting in incompatible systems.

If, as I believe, the separability of WIA and UA is important, it has to be explicitly reflected in the spec.
Best regards,
JC