Re: Is there an existing mechanism that can be used for WebIntents?

Here's another one - Austin King did some experiments with registerProtocolHandler (supported in Firefox and Chrome) to do a similar thing, about a year ago:

http://blog.mozilla.com/webdev/2010/07/26/registerprotocolhandler-enhancing-the-federated-web/

-mike