From: public-web-and-tv-request@w3.org [mailto:public-web-and-tv-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Giuseppe Pascale
Sent: den 17 februari 2011 10:32
To: Bob Lund; Mark Watson
Cc: Jean-Claude Dufourd; Glenn Adams; Richard Maunder; public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

> Another approach would be to adopt the idea that there could be
> selectable adaptivity algorithms (someone likened this to different
> TCP Congestion Control algorithms) and a way to pass them
> algorithm-specific tuning parameters. This would also enable some
> level of experimentation and customization.

I'm wondering if an approach as used by the OIPF video object (discussed during the workshop) for buffering would be applicable also in this case as a first "easy" step.
Basically you could let the application select which strategy to use (e.g.
low latency, sustained playback) through an API call and control just few generic parameters (e.g. min/max bandwidth).

This will allow also a bit of differentiation/competition between different media players still leaving the application a bit of control of what's going on.

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software - Sweden