Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

On Feb 17, 2011, at 1:32 AM, Giuseppe Pascale wrote:

>> Another approach would be to adopt the idea that there could be
>> selectable adaptivity algorithms (someone likened this to different TCP
>> Congestion Control algorithms) and a way to pass them algorithm-specific
>> tuning parameters. This would also enable some level of experimentation
>> and customization.
>>

> I'm wondering if an approach as used by the OIPF video object (discussed
> during the workshop) for buffering would be applicable also in this case
> as a first "easy" step.
> Basically you could let the application select which strategy to use (e.g.
> low latency, sustained playback) through an API call and control just few
> generic parameters (e.g. min/max bandwidth).

Depending on what you mean by "strategy" we may be saying exactly the same thing. I don't think the parameters would be generic (i.e. the same for every strategy), although there could be some generic parameters. I would expect to see a way to provide arbitrary name/value pairs.