Re: HTML5 Last Call May 2011 & DASH/Adaptive Streaming

From: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:32:00 +0100
To: "Bob Lund" <B.Lund@cablelabs.com>, "Mark Watson" <watsonm@netflix.com>
Cc: "Jean-Claude Dufourd" <jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr>, "Glenn Adams" <glenn@skynav.com>, "Richard Maunder" <rmaunder@cisco.com>, "public-web-and-tv@w3.org" <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
> Another approach would be to adopt the idea that there could be
> selectable adaptivity algorithms (someone likened this to different TCP
> Congestion Control algorithms) and a way to pass them algorithm-specific
> tuning parameters. This would also enable some level of experimentation
> and customization.

I'm wondering if an approach as used by the OIPF video object (discussed
during the workshop) for buffering would be applicable also in this case
as a first "easy" step.
Basically you could let the application select which strategy to use (e.g.
low latency, sustained playback) through an API call and control just few
generic parameters (e.g. min/max bandwidth).

This will allow also a bit of differentiation/competition between
different media players still leaving the application a bit of control of
what's going on.

/g

--
Giuseppe Pascale