Re: improving web advertising bg - use cases, conversations

Hi Liam, thanks for this.

 From my POV, I'm interested in linking/embedding product information in
ads and/or user interactions. We (GS1) would like to see this done using
our extension to schema.org [0], see the embedded data on any product
page on Tesco's Web site, for more; [1] for example (I like anchovies).
See that in Google's structured data testing tool [2].

In related work we're working to define a URI structure for carrying our
identifiers. So, to take our best known ID, the GTIN (the one that goes
beep at the checkout), we're *probably* going to have a simple structure
like

https://{domain}/gtin/{gtin}

i.e. any domain, followed by the literal 'gtin' followed by / and the
numeric ID. We have sub identifiers too like batch/lot number and, if
needs be, serial number, so the URI gets longer as required. STC, we
expect to manage the canonical set of URIs at https://data.gs1.org, e.g.
https://data.gs1.org/gtin/09507000009060/

That means that a GTIN, whether expressed in a QR code or a traditional
EAN/UPC barcode, is an entry point to structured data on the Web about a
product, that we envisage being sourced directly from the Brand Owner.

Happy to add this to the use cases if you want me to. I just checked and
I *can* edit the blog post. Actually, I did - I added @ids to the
headings (a la W3C norms ;-) )

HTH

Phil

[0] https://www.gs1.org/voc/
[1] https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258452081
[2]
https://search.google.com/structured-data/testing-tool#url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tesco..com%2Fgroceries%2Fen-GB%2Fproducts%2F258452081

--
Phil Archer
Director Omni Channel Retail

http://philarcher.org
+44 (0)7887 767755
@philarcher1
Skype: philarcher

CONFIDENTIALITY / DISCLAIMER: The contents of this e-mail are  confidential and are not to be regarded as a contractual offer or acceptance from GS1 (registered in Belgium).
If you are not the addressee, or if this has been copied or sent to you in error, you must not use data herein for any purpose, you must delete it, and should inform the sender.
GS1 disclaims liability for accuracy or completeness, and opinions expressed are those of the author alone.
GS1 may monitor communications.
Third party rights acknowledged.
(c) 2016.